The beach is very, very safe and ideal for littlies. Little to no surf. However 300 metres around the corner, Merricks offers good surfing and Point Leo ( 10 min drive) is rated the safest of the top ten surf beaches in Victoria
Balnarring Beach has won the ‘cleanest beach’ in Victoria the last two years
It has a combination of rocks ( kids fish and snorkel off) and safe swimming.
Western Port Bay, is a large tidal bay in southern Victoria, Australia opening into Bass Strait. It is the second largest bay in Victoria. Geographically, the bay is dominated by the two large islands; French Island and Phillip Island. Contrary to its name, it lies to the east of the larger Port Phillip, and is separated from it by the Mornington Peninsula. In its southern reaches, life such as Australian Fur Seals, whales and dolphins exist, while its northern reaches are inhabited by many bird species including the waterbird, migratory waders, White-faced Storm-Petrel, Silver Gull, Australian Gannets amongst many others. It is listed under the Ramsar Convention for its habitat for migratory water birds.
Here are six top tips for your stay:
- Passenger ferries run from Stony Point to French Island and Phillip Island. Phillip Island has those famous fairy penguins, while French Island has Australia’s largest koala population. Take an eco-tour to French Island, and you’re guaranteed to see koalas in the wild. Or hire a bike and enjoy riding where two wheels rule (no vehicles allowed).
- Cape Schanck is right at the tip of Western Port Bay, and its cliffs are pounded by huge Bass Strait breakers. Visit the Lightstation museum, take the walk to Bushrangers Bay and picnic perched on a rock. What views!
- There’s a cluster of excellent wineries from Hastings to just south of Merricks, so set aside a tasting day. A number of wineries have outstanding restaurants and cafes too.
- Play golf on a cliff-top course at Cape Schanck or Flinders – the play is matched by extraordinary views out over the ocean.
- Call into our villages including: Balnarring (a good spot to stock up on Mornington Peninsula produce), Flinders (cafes, restaurants and antique shops), Merricks (another excellent spot for Mornington Peninsula produce) and Tyabb (home of Australia’s biggest antique barn, with lots of individual dealers).
- Lose yourself in Australia’s oldest & largest Hedge Maze. Explore the Lavender Labyrinth and year round flowering lavender display gardens. Spectacular Rose Maze amidst 25 acres of gardens. Have fun with the Great Gnome Hunt, or just relax in the fully licensed cafÃ©. Location: SHOREHAM